Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Blogging: Why do we love it?

I've decided to try my hand at blogging again, just as I've started a diary a few hundred times in my life. And while I love reading the blogs of others, I have to ask myself just why people want to share their private lives with the world? Why do people think anyone would enjoy anonomously creeping about, soaking up the frustrating details of someone else's mundane life? Why do they think anyone would spend hours secretly reveling in the fact that the life they read about is more screwed up than their own?

I've blogged briefly in the past (perhaps you saw those??), and when I read over them, I realized my life is decidedly mediocre, considering I have so many kids and a rockin' profession! I've blogged about my practice, and I would love to share the juicy tidbits and heartfelt stories I hear from patients every day. What limits me there (besides HIPPA) is the fact that whenever there is a really interesting detail, there will be a mother, a sister, a friend who will recognize the story. I've written about my children, but do you really want to keep hearing that I have the best kids in the world? I guess my favorite use for my blog is to sound off about the kinds of problems everyone has---a crappy schedule, spouses or colleagues who don't appreciate me, teenagers who think I'm an ATM, and the insane busy-ness that all moms feel at one time or another. By publicly ruminating on these details, I've come dangerously close to offending friends, family and co-workers alike. But when I seriously contemplate this, I realize that perhaps blogs can be a delightfully passive-aggressive way to bring them back in line (with my point of view) once again.

Of course, that's not the purpose of my blog, but then again, does it need a purpose? I think I'd just like to just entertain you with yet another imprudent opportunity to gaze into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment