Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day! Today we are remembering those who gave their lives in service to our country. I am especially blessed to have my own son home from West Point today.

I thought I wasn't going to be able to celebrate with my family, since I have three patients who are over-due. They are all first-time moms, and I can't believe they aren't begging me to induce them. In fact, I scheduled one to be induced this evening and she doesn't want to!! She prefers to wait, which I support, since the average gestation for a white primapara is 41 weeks and 1 day. However, I did have to review the risks of post-term pregnancy with her, and we have to do fetal surveillance in the form of non-stress tests and biophysical profiles (ultrasound to measure amniotic fluid, fetal tone, etc.).


To make a long story short, I am home with my family today, and we had the chance to bake some cupcakes and see a family movie. Here's some pictures of the cupcakes we made. We even made the flags, which were printed from this website, cut, and glued to toothpicks.



I used my famous chocolate cake recipe, which uses only ingredients everyone has on hand; no eggs.

Double Dare Chocolate Cake

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda

Stir these dry ingredients together with a whisk.

Add:

2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cold water

Mix with electric mixer.
Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 insulated pan. Bake at 350 degrees for aboput 50 minutes. Check with toothpick. 24 Cupcakes: bake for 22 minutes.



I modified my white icing recipe and the results were fantastic! Here is the modified recipe:


White Icing

3/4 c. Crisco shortening (I don't have good results with generic)
2 TBSP. margarine
Salt: very generous dash(es), probably about 1/8 teaspoon. Don't omit this!
6 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together with electric mixer until very well mixed.
Add:

4 TBSP. milk

Continue mixing until very light and fluffy. Mmmmmmmmm!!











No comments:

Post a Comment